Smiler ride at Alton Towers breaks down months after re-opening following crash



The Smiler roller coaster has broken down at Alton Towers, just months after it was re-opened following a crash.

Two carts were in operation at the time. One was on a vertical part of the track and another on an upwards ramp, according to Metro.

32 people were on the ride when it was “temporarily stopped”. Nobody has been reported as injured.

The £18 million ride re-opened back in March after a crash that left five people with serious and life changing injuries in June last year.

A spokesperson said that the ride has been evacuated and was closed to guests.

They said: “On Thursday 1st September, Alton Towers Resort stopped The Smiler to investigate claims a piece of debris that had fallen from a carriage.

“At no time were guests on the ride at any risk and all were safely removed from the ride promptly by staff in line with our comprehensive standard procedures.

“As the health and safety of our guests is our priority, the ride will remain closed whilst the Resort’s technical team investigate the matter.”

The problems with the ride will surely result in further calls to get the ride closed down.

Vicky Balch was seriously injured in the crash in June last year, and believed that the ride should be closed forever.

A crash happened last year, when a carriage slammed into the back of a stationary cart.

Two teenagers had to have their legs amputated because of the severity of their injuries.

It was concluded after an investigation that the crash was due to human error, rather than mechanical or technical issues.

Merlin Attractions Operations Ltd admitted a breach of health and safety rules over the incident.