Figuring out an exercise regime can be a bit of a chore. Not everyone fancies going down the gym every week to keep fit, so it’s important to find something that you enjoy and try to figure out what will make enough of an impact to make a significant difference to your health.
Exercise goes hand in hand with your diet, and it’s just important to have a healthy balanced diet too, but what forms of exercise could you be undertaking in an effort to stay fit?
The May Clinic has drawn on research published by the National Institutes of Health and have listed 36 popular forms of exercise by their caloric impacts.
Approximate calories burned per hour for a 200-pound person is listed for each activity. Exact figures will vary from person to person, depending on their body type, gender, age and other factors.
Let’s take a look at some of the fun activities you could choose and how doing just an hour of each will impact on you!
35. Hatha Yoga – 228 calories/hour
34. A slow walk – 255 calories/hour
33. Bowling – 273 calories/hour
32. Ballroom dancing – 273 calories/hour
Fancy yourself as a bit of a Strictly pro? An hour of ballroom dancing will help you burn 273 calories.
31. Tai Chi – 273 calories/hour
30. Canoeing – 319 calories/hour
29. Slow, easy cycling – 364 calories/hour
28. Volleyball – 364 calories/hour
27. Power yoga – 364 calories/hour
Power yoga is a movement centered exercise practice, which offers a more intense workout to Hatha yoga.
26. Golfing (and carrying your clubs) – 391 calories/hour
25. Downhill skiing – 391 calories/hour
24. A brisk walk – 391 calories/hour
23. Low-impact aerobics – 455 calories/hour
22. Running on the elliptical – 455 calories/hour
21. Resistance training/ weightlifting – 455 calories/hour
20. Baseball/Softball – 455 calories/hour
Click next to carry on reading the list!