The government is expected to respond to calls for a second EU referendum next week, as over 100,000 people signed a petition.
The petition had been set up for a matter of hours before it received enough signatures to be considered for a debate in parliament.
William Oliver Healey set up the petition, with an opinion that echoes many others, in that the referendum result was decided by a small margin. It has be argued that it was ‘not a true majority.’
The website has crashed multiple times as it struggled to control the high volume of traffic.
This petition has attracted a huge amount of support, mostly from Remain voters, in an attempt to overturn the vote for Britain to leave the EU.
The chances of anything being done about this protest, further than the parliamentary debate seem more than unlikely.
The government’s Petitions Committee will consider the motion at their next meeting, which will take place on Tuesday June 28th.
A House of Commons spokesperson said: “The government responds to all e-petitions that reach 10,000 signatures within 21 days.
“The committee meets on Tuesday afternoons and will next meet on Tuesday 28 June, where they will consider the petition ‘EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum’ as it has now passed the 100,000 threshold.”
The petition reads: “We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum.”
The response and support for it has been overwhelming. The site has continued to crash and many people have experienced problems accessing the site.
The House of Commons spokesperson said: “UK parliament and the government digital service are aware of the issue and are working on this to ensure the site is working well.”
What did David Cameron and Nigel Farage say about the possibility of a second referendum before voting took place?
Click next to read on…